Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Some Background

I have so many things that I want to talk about, but I guess I will start with the little adventure that changed my life forever.  Getting pregnant with twins.  Spreadsheet guy and I had been married for about four years when we decided we were ready for a child.  Well, it was more like I decided and he went along with it.  He was happy either way.  Regardless, it wasn't as easy as we thought it would be.  After about a year, I finally got pregnant.  I was sick RIGHT AWAY.  I went to visit my doctor for a blood test to confirm the pregnancy.  When the nurse called and gave me the HGC numbers they seemed extremely high to me (and I had Dr WebMd at my side) .  Right away visions of me surrounded by four or five children filled my head and I started freaking out.  I called the nurse and asked if the high numbers meant I would be having more than one child.  She told me to relax, get off of the Internet (how did she know?) and we would take a look the following week. 

I don't know if everyone knows this, but when you get an ultrasound early in your pregnancy, they don't use the gel and the ultrasound mouse-thing (hope I didn't lose anyone by getting too technical there).  Nope.  They use a, um, wand.  Let's put it this way, I hopped up on the table looked over and saw this phallic looking thing with a box of condoms sitting next to it.  Being naive, I wondered what the heck THAT was for.  Certainly not for anything I was having done.  I was getting an ultrasound.  Imagine my surprise when the doctor started "preparing" the wand.  My eyes nearly popped out of my head.  I immediately began sweating.  Nobody told me about this.  Luckily, the excitement of being pregnant was strong so I went along with it so I could see the baby.  The doctor showed us the little black dot that was our child.  Spreadsheet guy, joking around said, is that the only one?  Much to our surprise, the doctor said no.  We both stood there, in shock while the doctor showed us the other little black dot.  Twins.  Oh wait!  Then the doctor showed us another.  Triplets?  I was sick.  How would I take care of three children?  We had just bought a house that needed updating.  How would we manage that? 

We were scheduled for a follow up two weeks later (at 9 weeks).  I hesitate to say "luckily", but at that appointment we learned only two little dots had heartbeats so it was twins for us. After staring at each other in disbelief we decided to go grab breakfast at this fancy place called McDonald's.  Sitting in the parking lot, we called our parents.  (our parents all live at least 2 hours away).  I told my mother we needed to pick out two names.  She was silent for a moment and then said "running mom" (she used my first and middle name), what did you DO?".  Not exactly the response I expected, but I like to think it is just because she was so impressed with my multi-tasking.  Two kids at once!  Once and done! 

So that is the story of how we found out.  It gets MUCH more exciting from there.  I am trying to keep this post from turning into a book, so I will post the next part in the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment